Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Holidaze: Hansel and Gretel

In continuing on with the costume's of Halloween's past, the kiddos were Hansel and Gretel in 2012.  I put a lot of time and effort into these costumes and am a little bummed that I didn't get any great pictures out of the ordeal. I sure did try, and the kids sure did run away from me anytime the camera was aimed in their direction. I couldn't even sneak a shot!  Those little boogers were on to me!

The costumes mostly consisted of scouring the vintage section of Etsy for the perfect pieces. The only thing I had to actually make was boy kiddo's hat. Construction of the hat was simple, I used the all-mighty google.com for directions ("how to make an edelweiss hat"). I believe the directions I found might have been for a paper hat, but I simply used felt in place of paper and stuck a craft feather in his cap and called it maca... sorry, got of track there for a second.

Boy kiddo's outfit consisted of a gold vest found on Etsy, a plain white shirt I found at Walmart, brown cords from H&M and fur lined boots I scored at Target.  Hansel complete!

Gretel was similarly achieved by finding a German dress on Etsy. I was amazed to find a dress that worked so well and so badly wish the girl would have cooperated for a picture to show how perfect it was.  Search for "girl's German dress" or "girl's Oktoberfest dress" and if you are lucky, you'll find a nice selection.  I picked up a scalloped edged white shirt from Target, sweater tights from H&M and pulled black Mary Jane's from girl kiddo's closet. Perfection!  Of course, I couldn't forget the bread basket!  Luckily I had a perfect basket on hand, grabbed a red kitchen towel and viola, costume complete!

No comments:

Post a Comment